We, As cherished members
of a Christian catholic community, are called to be Christ for
others, to see Christ in others, and to provide a loving environment
wherein all may grow in faith, wisdom and knowledge.
Our Lady of Good Counsel Catholic School, in partnership with the parents,
strives to enrich the lives of our greater community through prayer,
academics and service. Following the traditions and teachings of our
faith we are called to emulate a life of spirituality.
teachers, and support staff recognize the dignity of all children and
embrace their uniqueness in learning. We take responsibility to offer
an education that will provide opportunities for each child to grow
spiritually, morally, intellectually, socially, emotionally and physically.
Our students will acquire skills they can use with confidence and competence
to continue learning and serving throughout their lives.
students are empowered in their role as members of our faith community
and of our diverse society, they will be responsible in their decision
making and in their actions. They will demonstrate respect for all God’s
creation. They will be resourceful in promoting justice and peace in
their relationships and activities.HISTORY
During the summer of 1910, two Dominican Sisters from
Adrian Michigan arrived at Our Lady of Good Counsel Parish and in
September of that year, Catholic education began on the southeast
side of Aurora. The school opened on the second floor of the then
new church. Eight students made up the first graduating class in
The decades that followed showed a slow but steady
growth of both the parish and the school. By 1925, the school had
grown to the extent that the Adrian Dominicans did not have enough
Sisters available and were replaced by the School Sisters of St.
Francis out of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The influence of the School
Sisters was to be profound and from that time until this very day,
they have had an important presence in our school.
Great Depression of the 1930's slowed growth generally, the school
continued to expand. The graduating class of 1930 numbered twenty,
by 1939 there were forty three graduates. The war years of the early
1940's were a difficult time By 1943 there were 190 young men of the
parish, most of them graduates of our school, in the armed services.
The school children did their part during these years organizing
paper drives and participating in "Junior Victory Garden" contests.
With the end of the war, the next twenty years were to see
an explosion of growth. By 1962, the enrollment of the school was
well over 700 and in January, 1963, a new school building was
opened. By the 1970's, the rapid growth had run its course and the
school enrollment settled in for the next two decades at around 530.
During this time, the emergence of lay involvement in the teaching
and administration of our school became especially important.
Graduates of our school have been on the staff for over four decades
and have been prominent in local government, education, the
professions and in all spheres of community life. A good many of our
alums have expressed their appreciation for the quality "Catholic"
education they were given in our school.